Bedework URL Builder
The URL builder provides users with raw feeds in a variety of formats or with code for embeddable widgets.
- For raw feeds, users specify the output, the timeframe, what categories to include, exclude, and/or limit to. We generate a URL pointing into the cache.
- For widgets, users specify the timeframe and what categories to include, exclude, and/or limit to. They may also any of several options that shape the output. We generate pastable code that references a URL pointing into the cache.
(This part of the page needs to be reworked and integreted)
- There are three types of categories:
- General categories (created by super-user)
- Categories that represent groups (created by Bedework system) - NOT 3.6
- Group created categories (created by admin groups) - nested under the group based categories. - Partially implemented in 3.6
- Categories that represent administrative groups will be created on the fly by Bedework when an admin group is created. When a user creates an event, it will be automatically tagged with the group category. Such categories can then be used both for building a union of events to display (e.g. show academic calendar + group A + group B) as well as for limiting the result set to a specific group (e.g. show lectures only from group A). This is a more future proof approach for pointing at groups than directly referencing the "creator" id, simplifies the model, and is more flexible. - NOT 3.6
- Categories can currently be associated with creators (and therefore groups). We will move to a path based approach which will provide category namespacing. - NOT 3.6
- Chicago has expressed an interest in free tagging of events by event admins. We propose using group created categories for this purpose - NOT 3.6:
- During event creation, previously created categories (called "tags" in this context) can be selected in the event form
- We will allow on-the-fly creation of "tags" during event creation (or editing) as well
- As noted above, groups should be represented by Bedework generated categories to make it easy to create both additive and limiting filters. NOT 3.6. Bedework 3.6 will use the existing "creator" parameter in listEvents.do and reference the underlying eventOwner associated with groups to limit events. A groups widget has been written to expose admin groups to the UI.
- With a cache in place, we would like to extend the allowable timeframe to a length that can represent whole semesters or seasons.
- Excluding those items marked "NOT 3.6", we have items that can handle everything above except:
- A few lightweight stylesheets need to be written
- Categories may need massaging
- Those items marked "NOT 3.6" we hope to get into the release following 3.6.